Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Dancing Past Purim, It's Time to Think Pesach!

A "Musher's" Lunch

Gas prices in Fairbanks
3/9/16
The lovely green #''s for diesel!
Our Purim festivities were small but special as I made my first efforts ever to make "hamanstashen" which are simply a triangular cookie with a sweet filling. 

DannyLee had no complaints!  He ate "his" share as we watched an old favorite, "One Night With The King" which tells the story of Esther and the salvation of the Jewish people in a "Hollywood" kind of way.  

The Purim holiday serves as a warning that it's time to start thinking about Pesach as my preparations take me a VERY long time.  I have to go through all of my cooking and baking supplies as well as any prepacked foods like Rice-a-roni in search of "leaven".  This also gives me a chance to take inventory of our foodstuffs and see what needs to be rotated in or out of stock.  It turns into a big job!


We'll also have to do a search of the house and ourselves to see if we've allowed anything to "creep in" that might be working to draw us away from Elohim.  We take all of this very seriously as we feel it's up to us to keep our spiritual health in check.  We will be held accountable for it in the end.  

We tried to get a little bit ahead of the game this year and headed up to Fairbanks hoping to get our portion of lamb.  It can be challenging to live so far away to get their on just the right day.  There's no guarantee that any of the stores will have lamb on the day we drive up.  

Things worked out well and we bought our lamb, but there was no matzah in sight so we'll have to make do with what we have on hand or make another trip up in the next couple of weeks.  I'm leaning towards making do or making my own this year.  

I've finished another quilt and sent it off as a gift.  This one took me a very long time as it's a bit more detailed than my previous quilts.  Each individual square was unique and I did a lot of "fussy cutting" to make the sashing and the binding.  

"Garden Dreams" closeup
All of the materials used in this quilt came from the thrift store. 

When it was finished, I fell in love with it and I struggled to find the "right home" for it.  I wanted it to go to someone that would love it as much as I did.

I think I found the exact right place.  I hope "they" agree!
"Garden Dreams" in the snow!


No comments:

Post a Comment