Sunday, April 5, 2015

Pesach 2015

Each year Pesach comes as a new thing for us even though this is my ninth observation and DannyLee's tenth time or so.  Basically, we don't know what we're doing and there is so much anxiety that comes in trying to "get it right". This year was no exception and even though we're back to just the two of us, I still struggled with the preparations.

I think the biggest problem comes with the fact that we're trying to stay away from the old traditions of men and find our way back to the Scriptures on one hand, balanced with the very human need to establish a new set of traditions that work with the commandments given by Elohim and not against HIM.  

In the days leading up to Pesach, I went through my cabinets and considered what was leaven and what was not and removed the leaven from the house.  It was considerably easier this year as we've gotten away from a lot of convenience type foods.  In the previous years, I've had to look at packages of Rice-a-roni and other kinds of similar foods for yeast on the labels.  Now, I have none of that in the house so there was nothing to search through.

As I'm making most of our bread and baked goods at home, it was easy to gather up my yeast and baking powder.  I did enjoy working out the last few meals to use up the last loaf of bread and cookies.  It made for some interesting meals.  My final challenge was a half of a loaf of challah bread that got turned into a lovely tropical bread pudding with pineapple and coconut that we managed to eat up on preparation day.  

As we considered what was and wasn't leaven, I was stumbled this year with a new thought.  I've become a waffle aficionado (better said: addict!) and have collected several fun waffle recipes.  As I was making my Waffle Brownies, I noted that there wasn't any leaven in the recipe - no yeast, no baking powder or soda!  Hmmm.....

That led me to wonder just what makes waffles light and fluffy and I realized it's just water and hot air - steam!  That really gave me something to think about in terms of leaven.  Obviously, you're not going to get rid of either of these two things so my end thought was I won't be making waffles during the Feast of Unleavened Bread - 'nuff said!

Our Pesach celebration was decorated with snow that blew in with all the fierceness of winter though it left little to show for itself in the end. We had somewhere between one to two inches that mostly melted away by mid-day. It definitely ruined any chances of viewing the third of the blood moons, however. The cloud covering stayed solid all night.

In the end, we had a lovely meal of lamb and roasted veggies with lots of grape juice and matzah.  We spent the rest of our evening watching The Ten Commandments though I'm not sure that there's a Scripture for that.  

As we enter into the Feast of Unleavened Bread, matzah pizza is the first thing on the menu.  I think this is the part that DannyLee looks forward to the most. Now if I can just figure out how to use up all those bitter herbs............

No comments:

Post a Comment