Friday, December 12, 2014

Time Stands Still or Life Goes On?

A Warm December Day in Alaska
 You haven't lived until you've sat in your easy chair and listened to wolves howling in the darkness outside your house!  There's nothing quite like that!

As the days continue to grow shorter, it almost seems as if time has come to a standstill.  We have our daily tasks of hauling wood and keeping up with the house and the "kids" and then, there's everything else......  

We're down to a few hours of daylight at this point but as you can see, we still have some beautiful "sunshiny" moments. The weather has left us with little to complain about as the snow has come in manageable amounts and despite the reading on our silly thermometer, it's really been quite warm for this time of year.  (Our thermometer is off about 10 to 15 degrees or so.)  Our postman says that he's still waiting for winter to arrive.  We're just happy with what we've got right now. DannyLee says that he can live with this.  



Our Pellet Stove
 We've had a lot of fun "doing projects" around the house and as this is my first "own" house in a long time, I'm having a great time redecorating (which for me means moving stuff around to make it all look different!)  

This summer we moved our pellet stove into the kitchen (with a little help from our friends (okay, okay, a LOT of help!)), to push a little more heat towards the back of the house where the bathroom is located. There's nothing fun about getting up in the middle of the night and finding that the pipes in the bathroom have frozen up (like last year).  

I'm doing a lot more home cooking as it's too far to go anyplace where someone might cook something for me and that's been a lot of fun.  It's really changed the way we eat AND the way that we think about food.  We've also given up soda pop and artificial sweeteners and processed food.  It basically means that I have to do a lot more food preparation, but cooking meals in bulk and freezing them in portions is a good way to add more heat to the house.  

We've replaced soda with kefir water, but we're not giving up our iced tea.  Making kefir water is kind of like having another "pet" in the house as the kefir grains have to be fed and kept warm and washed and then you still have to make the kefir water itself.  I've finally gotten it down to a simple routine.  They love "snuggling" up to the warm woodstove, but not too close!

On a sad note, my old laptop that I bought in Thailand in 2006 finally gave up the ghost.  I did manage to save all my pictures, artwork and documents, but all my programs are just plain gone and they're irreplaceable.  I confess that it really hurt, but life goes on and for now I'm working on this tiny little notebook.  It basically has internet access and a dinky little keyboard that makes typing into an adventure, but it's good enough for me.

Losing my computer has caused me to take up a new hobby and I'm really excited about it.  I'll be talking a lot more about that in my next post.  As an added incentive, I'm excited to announce that soon I will be a great-grandmother for the second time.  My dad asked me if that makes me feel old.  I don't think so!!

DannyLee is busy working on his music between mauling and hauling firewood.  He's very excited with the new songs that he has written and practices them several times a day!  We're trying to figure out a way to make them available via the internet if we can actually record them with the equipment that we have here.  All I can say is that he hasn't lost his touch!  
DannyLee Working "It"!

No comments:

Post a Comment